St Philips Dramatic Society
Guidelines for Performances Containing Children Under 18 Years of Age
To comply with the Child Protection Act 1999 and the Taking Care Policy produced by the Bishop of Ripon and Leeds, St Philips Dramatic Society will follow the guidelines below for members taking part in all productions involving young people under the age of 18.
- Parental permission, along with a contact number and other essential details, must be obtained for the young person to take part in the production. This includes permission for photographs and DVD. This will be kept securely by the Secretary, Chairman and Safeguarding Officer.
- Chaperones will be used to ensure the safety and well-being of all children and young people.
- Young people must sign in before every rehearsal and performance and then sign out as they leave. The adult who collects them must also sign. This list will be checked at random intervals to ensure the children are still on the premises and still safe.
- Young people may not leave the rehearsal without a parent or designated responsible adult or written parental permission.
- Young persons must not be left alone with an adult except under exceptional circumstances and only if that adult is their parent or carer or a person designated and approved by the Child Safeguarding Officer.
- Physical contact with any young person must only be made as part of the production as directed by the producer except in an emergency to prevent accident etc.
- Dressing rooms to be single sex changing with no mixing wherever practicable.
- During rehearsal and productions, a team of approved chaperones will look after the well-being of children.
Numbers of acting young adults under 18 in the group.
- For reasons of safety, supervision and well-being, we cannot allow unlimited numbers of children to join our group.
- There will be no more than 8 children under 12 – children in Year 6 and below at school.
- Children in Year 7 and beyond up to 18, will still be part of our group but, although 12 or over may not free up a place in the under 12 group.
- The total number of children shall be a number which is deemed reasonable by the Committee taking into account the size, age and needs of the children concerned.
- A waiting list will be maintained by the Committee and parents informed when places become available as children leave or move into adulthood.
- A child shall be deemed to have left if they do not take part in a production without giving a good reason. If they wish to re-join after leaving, their name will be placed at the end of the waiting list.
- With the consent of the Committee, the Producer may choose to make use of a child whose audition has shown that they are ideal for a part which other members could not successfully play.
These guidelines are for the safety and security of all young persons and members of the group and are subject to annual review by the committee.
Updated April 2018